Sunday, April 21, 2013

8 April 2013

Hey good to hear your insights from conference and everything!
 
I'm glad all is going well and that yall are enjoying your time together now that Dad has less to worry about at the moment. I encourage yall to continue to take that extra time and use it for the benefit of the missionary work in Naperville/Aurora. I love yall so much. I'm so grateful for the upbringing that I was blessed to have. The way that yall have taught me by example and helping me to not falter beyond repair has been so important to me. Dad thank you so much for going on a mission and for helping Solomon to be an example to me of a great missionary as well. I can't even imagine what it would be like to find the gospel so soon before going on a mission. I know how much my mission has already been a learning experience for me so I'm glad for all of the odds you went against to be an example to me. Thank you for stressing the importance of the gospel to me. When I was young and didn't understand how vital the gospel was yall helped me come to church every week and helped me do things that I didn't necessarily want to do at the time. Yall always followed through on the rules that you established. I'm very grateful for that especially. I remember one time that really influenced me so much was when mom you set up that we'd have to practice piano for 30 minutes a day and that we could skip a day but the time would add up. I just remembered one week that I was slack and not being able to play any games until I practiced for like 240 minutes or something crazy like that haha. Thanks for staying true to the established consequences even when I was whining or when things got tough. That discipline is something that has stuck in my mind. There are always consequences for actions and the gospel is there to help us have the best time through everything. Whether we like it or not sin is going to bring terribly negative consequences in the long run. People who lack discipline have such a hard time grasping this concept. It's such a blessing to me to have loving parents that have helped me stay on the right path and helped me understand how life works. I love yall so much. Parenting me must have been so hard haha I really apologize for all the trouble that I gave yall growing up. I know I was such a bad kid at many stages of my youth but I just want yall to know that I couldn't have been taught better. Yall truly fulfilled your role in teaching me correct principles and really discerning my needs. I know that yall know better than me. Haha I bet yall didn't expect to hear that from me before I exited my teenage years =P. But honestly I just really love yall so much. I would not be the person I am today without that direction.
 
I loved conference. There were so many amazing talks. One that surprisingly really spoke to me was Elder L. Whitney Clayton's talk on Marriage: Watch and Learn. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not getting ahead of myself but something that really helps me understand and things that just really stick out to me are types or similes. Like, how our Earth is a perfect type for our mortal lives: how it was baptized by water and will be baptized of fire to give a small simple example of that. I can't help but realize how much my mission is helping me prepare for an eternal family some day. Basically many of the qualities that make a successful marriage make a successful relationship with a missionary companion. Not only that but the simple fact that love is one of the chief characteristics of Deity and learning about marriage and the relationship between a husband and wife is one of the best ways to learn how to emulate that Christlike love and apply it to all people. I've decided that I want faith and charity/love to be the two greatest Christlike qualities that I want to improve on my mission and continuing all throughout my life. Loving of Heavenly Father and our neighbors are truly the two great commandments. It's through these two qualities that we emulate Christ. They basically are a starting point for every other spiritual principle. If we truly love God we show that love through our obedience to his commandments. And it's through loving our neighbors that we serve them and bless them and become a conduit that the Spirit can use to touch their lives and bring them that ultimate happiness that can only come through the true gospel of Jesus Christ.
 
Conference has helped me get a little more spiritual fire going but I definitely don't want this to be just a great memory. I've learned a lot about the importance of great meetings like this throughout my mission. They become lifechanging when we simply select a few things that really stood out to us and write them down on a little post-it or notecard and work to apply those principles into our being. If we try to work on everything that we learned/heard about we'll notice this pendulum affect in our lives where we lose some of the things that we used to do and replace with the new things we've learned. Our goal is not to forget all of the other conferences we've seen but to continually apply new things so that we can truly continue bettering ourselves. Once the things we learn become a part of us we can then build and make more things a part of us. If we simply act these things for awhile instead of instilling them in our souls we're not going to become the people that our Heavenly Father wants us to becoming. It's all about becoming like Christ as opposed to simply acting like Christ.
 
Things are going really great right now. Audree came to the Saturday afternoon session of conference and Wondell was able to make it to all three Saturday sessions. We're going to push Wondell's baptism back for now as he works to follow all of the commandments but Audree is looking really good for this Saturday. I'm very excited for her. Her and her family are really going to be blessed by this gospel. She has a lot of people in her life that are ready for the gospel and it's been great being able to see her friends and begin to teach them. Many people's lives are going to be changed by her simple act of listening to us. It's amazing the ripple effect that one small notion in the gospel does.
 
As yall continue strong in missionary work just know that planting seeds is a big part of it. While people may not accept the message at first just know things will work out all according to God's will in the future. Whenever I begin to be disappointed about how many people reject our message on a daily basis I just think of the words of Alma in chapter 29. O that I were an angel and could have the wish of mine heart, that I might go forth and speak with the trump of God, with a voice to shake the earth, and cry repentance unto every people! Yea, I would declare unto every soul, as with the voice of thunder, repentance and the plan of redemption, that they should repent and come unto our God, that there might not be more sorrow upon all the face of the earth. But behold, I am a man, and do sin in my wish; for I ought to be content with the things which the Lord hath allotted unto me.
 
Everything will happen according to God's will. We just need to do the best with what God has allotted unto us.
 
Love yall so much,
Elder Nair

No comments:

Post a Comment